Jan 4, 2009

Kick out the devil's sin; pick up a good book now.

Two thousand eleven pages later where am I?

This is, in fact, a bragging post. Not because I think that this is an "amazing" feat for most.. but one for me.
You see: I told myself that I was going to read at least two thousand pages during the break. Not only did I tell myself this, but I actually did it. Weird, right?
I tend to tell myself I'm going to do lots of things that I end up not really doing.
Here's the thing.. I may have read all of those pages, but unless I try to make some sense of all that I read there's no reason why I should've read them. And so these are a few of the things that I learned over the break; book by book.

The Picture of Dorian Gray: The self is more terrifying than anything than any other subject. The most frightening part of the self: apathy towards the honor of the self and towards the universal golden rule.

Three Cups of Tea: Ok. This book really isn't as "revolutionary" as it is proclaimed by book snobs as being. I was reminded of the fact that not only can there be non-violent forms of intervention, but that non-violent intervention is usually more effective.

Mormon Scientist: I'm not the only one who thinks that evolution is not contrary to Mormon Doctrine (for me - a special emphasis on "Theistic evolution" in opposition to "Intelligent Design" which is really not evolution.. but I'll write something else on that later). Mormons, even prominent ones, can argue opinion with Prophets on such controversial topics as Evolution and not be considered "apostate" as many label Orson Scott Card for having written books that aren't just fluff. :)

Slumming: This is a radical book for me to have liked because it has two of the features that I usually avoid when it comes to selecting a novel: A) It's Young Adult and B) it's written by an LDS author. Perhaps the most interesting thing I learned from this one is that if you write an LDS YA and it has too many "depressing" parts to it no one will buy it (Que the people at the library telling me "That's not uplifting"). 'Twas very hard to find.

Nonviolence: I have yet to find an intensely convincing argument for either side of this debate. The most interesting thing in this book? There is no word for nonviolence in any language. I actually could not tell you the difference between pacifism and nonviolence before I read this though, so it gets some points.

A Short History of Nearly Everything: Bill Bryson likes geology. Blah. Beyond that I learned that Scientists are radicals and if they're right, then they'll most likely get mocked while they're alive and they'll be made into Saints latter on. A lot of the well-known scientists throughout the years have hung out together. The fact that Yellow Stone is one huge volcano took years to figure out. Don't run around Yellow Stone at night even if you are a park ranger. Umm.. dang, you think I'd remember more from this book. Shoot.

Roots: This book is well-researched historical fiction, not nonfiction. Take it out of the 920s. This was the best book on slavery I have read. The history of all places, not just Europe (dang you Europeans! myself included), should be taught as a way of showing the Roots of America for even though we like to pretend that Western thought is "civilized" thought, it generally is further away from being "civilized" than other cultures.. whoops. The book also reminded me of Kite Runner because it was SO popular when it came out among those who "wanted to understand other cultures."

I'm hoping that because most of these books made do the outrageous thing - think of life in different terms than I did before I read them - that I can use them in shaping my opinions, myself, and, of course, as a means of making a point in debate. :)

Read. More. Books.

2 comments:

Logan Thomas said...

Oh heavens! That is a LOT of reading!

Would you recommend "The Picture of Dorian Gray"? I've always been curious about it, but haven't gotten around to it.

I've never really been interested in "Three Cups of Tea", I read a few chapters once and the style bugged me.

I'll definitely have to put Slumming on the to-read list now, simply because it is an LDS book you ACTUALLY enjoyed. You know how I feel about LDS authors...

And maybe I'll read "Nonviolence" simply to learn the difference between pacifism and nonviolence. Or maybe I will just ask you to explain it to me.

Saralyn said...

Pacifism is avoiding conflict by not participating in a situation(turn the other check.) Non-violence is actively working against and taking the higher road by not using violence (Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
.)

The Picture of Dorian Gray is wonderful. The first time I read it, however, it terrified me and I quit reading about three fourths of the way through.. then I finished it this year. Who knows what that means?

And you'll probably read it and think "what the heck was Saralyn talking about? There's nothing the least bit frightening in this book."

Oh well. I probably didn't quite "get" it all.

Come to think of it Slumming might've been one of those "junk food" books that seems really good when you're reading it, but doesn't have too much to get out of it.. so I'm not sure if you'd like it.