Apr 7, 2009

"I am not young enough to know everything."

-Oscar Wilde

The other day I was thinking about a class last year and the ways in which I thought that I could've fixed the class and suddenly the though came to me "Of course I could've. I was in High School. I had the answers for everything."

Anyway, now that I've mocked myself twice, I just wanted to say how amazing Oscar Wilde is.

"Reading an Oscar Wilde play is sort of like life being perfect." - Tosh Berman

If you have not ever seen or read anything by Oscar Wilde I demand that you stop reading right now and go down to the library and check out the text to the play "The Importance of Being Ernest" or "The Picture of Dorian Gray." Don't check out the video - Hollywood's corrupted Wilde plays.

"I can resist everything - except temptation."
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."
"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies."

You probably are wondering where this rambling came from. Well, I started another Oscar Wilde work today and was, of course, not disappointed. And I found a pleasant surprise the other day - a little book called "De Profundis" a love letter from Wilde to Lord Alfred Douglas when he was in prison and doing hard labor for "gross indecency" (at least he didn't get the hemlock like Socrates).

Goodness. How does one properly express the literary genius that is Oscar Wilde? I am in awe.

Go read.

No comments: