Feb 18, 2009

Self-Proclaimed Evolutionary




So, in case you haven't noticed, I really don't like creationism or intelligent design. (I'm in favor of theistic evolution until evidence for any other theory makes any sense to me.)
These pictures come from a deist facebook page. I like them. :)

2 comments:

Logan Thomas said...

Ha!
I love both of those comics!
Please, expound upon your beliefs of theistic evolution.

Saralyn said...

I feel vastly underprepared to write on the topic, but this is my best shot at it without including too many of my random musings on my ideas about theology...

Theistic evolution is the theory that God used and is using evolution.

This definitely stands in contrast to the idea of Creationism (which kind of makes me cringe, sorry everyone) and intelligent design (which I have a little more respect for).

Why not Creationism?

Creationism is the result of viewing the Bible as inerrant and using it as a tool to determine scientific laws. The Bible was never meant to be viewed this way (something else I'll probably write a post on when I've read more on the subject).

My question here has always been:
"If God is supposed to be all-knowing and all-powerful why would God waste time making each individual animal separately?"

Why not Intelligent Design then?

Intelligent design bugs me because it is stuck in the mindset of genesis as well.
I personally see nothing wrong with saying that evolution started from the simplest of cells and accept that idea.

Why not just evolution?

To me it would seem as though because Evolution is a constant otherwise known as an infamous thing called “truth” (watchs the postmodernists flee for their lives) that there has to be a God. Isn’t that the very idea of a God: something that is constant or promotes a consistent law?

Ultimately, I agree with the deists on this one: all things physical and metaphysical should take some root in logic. To me both God and Evolution do that.